26 Feb Cool Microwave Hacks We Bet You Didn’t Know
Microwave ovens are an exceptionally useful kitchen appliance. As well as the usual cooking, reheating, defrosting and warming duties, there are a range of other useful applications for your microwave. We bet a few will surprise you too!
- Clean the inside of your microwave and remove nasty food stains by placing a glass bowl of warm water with a little white vinegar mixed in. Heat for 3-4 minutes and then wipe down the inside with a sponge.
- If you have older onions, top, tail and microwave them for 30 seconds to avoid tears when slicing.
- Microwave old bread for 10 second intervals to breathe new life into it. Just keep microwaving it until it’s soft.
- Microwave stiff honey with the lid off for around a minute to soften it and get it flowing free.
- Get more juice out of lemons and limes by giving them a blast in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Make delicious microwave popcorn by heating a bowl of water for 2 minutes first, then quickly swap the bowl of water for popcorn and cooking to get fluffier popcorn.
- Dry herbs ready for grinding or storing by microwaving in a bowl for 2 or 3 minutes or until they have dried. Then simply store or powder with pestle and mortar.
- Cook spices safely in the microwave too by microwaving them for 15-20 seconds to bring out more flavour.
- Make your own potato chips by thinly slicing potato and lying flat on a plate. Cover in oil spray and season before cooking for 6 minutes, turning once.
- Heat garlic for 20 seconds before peeling and the skin slides straight off.
- Peel tomatoes the same way by cross-slicing the top, microwaving for 30 seconds, resting for a minute and the just slide the skin off.
- Separate lumpy sugar that has gone lumpy by putting it in a bowl, placing a moist paper towel next to the bowl and microwaving them for 20 seconds. The sugar should now separate easily.
- Make your own cappuccino by shaking up some milk in a container, removing the lid and microwaving for 30 seconds. Them simply pour over your coffee.
- Place a glass of water next to your pizza when reheating in the microwave for much better results.
- Remove stamps from letters by moistening the outside with water and then microwaving for 20 seconds. The stamp should peel off easily.
The microwave oven is a very versatile kitchen appliance that can be used for so much more than just reheating your coffee or cooking dinner. If you have any good microwave hacks, let us know!